Saturday, December 05, 2009

Sort of Fast!

What a nice day. I woke up and got about an hour of work done (I got a short term contracting gig that I can do from home!) and then headed into town for a 5k with the girls. On Halloween a bunch of us got together and did a trail run before heading out for pancakes afterwards.



Well, we had so much fun we decided to try to do it somewhat regularly. I noticed that a really great 5k was on the calendar about a month later on the other side of town (only fair for our westsiders!) so it was on! 8 of us met up this morning to run the race and then head out for pancakes afterwards. The real kicker is that 5 of us are pregnant. FIVE! It is so great to have so many pregnant friends. I am so happy for everyone and it's awesome to have so many ladies to share and commiserate with!



Anyway, I am not sure what it was but I felt good! I started out with Evie and MN way in the back of the pack. It's so crazy starting way back. We walked or jogged for quite a while and finally I found some open road and took off. I passed like 500 people over the first mile, I swear! My split was 7:39. At the mile mark, I did a gut check and felt good so picked it up. I saw E-speed coming back in first place! Woohoo! I just saw her coming around the corner and didn't see any other women. That got me excited. Mile 2 was 7:14. I did another gut check and still felt great so I picked it up even more over the last 1.1. I passed lots of people and it felt so good. My stride felt FAST and smooth. I miss that feeling so much! I think I like running fast. I used to think I hated 5k's, but now I think I LOVE them! I love the raw power it takes to run a good one. Exhilerating!

Anyway, my third mile was 6:53 and my last .1 was :42. Woo! I ran a 22:30! That's a huge pregnant pr for me--like over a minute! Much of that has to do with the blistering fast course--minimal turns and the flattest course of any race I have EVER run, ever! It's awesome for a fast 5k. Plus, the weather is always just about perfect--high 20's, very little wind. Just FAST! Love it! But yeah, between the course and the cool weather and maybe because I'm in better shape I had a great race for two ("race for two" is kind of cheesy, isn't it? Oh well!). I ran my nonpregnant pr on this race a couple of years ago too. I think this will be my comeback goal race after #2 gets here. PR? Hope so! Oh and speaking of, E-speed ran a 18 second pr and won! See. Told you this race rules! (What is wrong with me? "This race rules?" Am I a 12 year old boy from 1987?!)

Afterwards, we bombarded a local pancake joint and scarfed up all kinds of crazy pancakes and giant omelets. It was such a fun morning. I came home and mrp and peanut were outside having a great old time. We all ate the left over omelet and some other snacks and then we put peanut and momma down for a nap. Boy did I need that after a fun fantastic morning. I have such great friends and the most wonderful family. I am one lucky girl!

Here are some pics of mrp and peanut playing outside. Couldn't you just eat them up?!


3 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

SO COOL! I'm jealous of your group of pregnant athlete friends! Most of my pregnant friends are online. ;)

marathon mommy said...

Congrats on the preggo PR!

E-Speed said...

Nicely done yesterday! Great preggo PR!