Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Who Am I?

So, I told you a while back I am the new running column lady for Ohio Sports and Fitness magazine. I just finished the draft on my first article about excuses. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. I hope the editors are too! I don't have a whole lot of time right now to do a whole lot more with it.

Although, they have already asked me for something else. A bio. That's no problem, I thought upon reading the e-mail. But, when I went to write something I had no idea what to say. I sort of fell into serious running--it wasn't really my intent. I still feel like an impostor sometimes. I wrote about the beginnings of my "career" a while back. Since then, I've run two more marathons, been pregnant twice, had one baby (so far), quit my job. Man, who am I any more? I can't even define myself as a person these days, let alone why I'm someone qualified to write a column about running.

It's funny this comes up as 2009 comes to a close. Fitting is more like it. I look back on this year and I realize I have felt so lost as I try to redefine myself as a mother. I love being a mother, but motherhood has shaken my sense of self to the core. 2009 has been one big struggle to figure out who is Salty now. Where is she going? What does she want? Sorry for the third person.

Wow. There's a lot more to say about this I suppose. But, peanut is going through a phase and hasn't really napped in days. Today I drove 50 miles around town while he slept an hour and a half. I got a chai and peaced out to the smooth sounds of NPR. It wasn't that bad, but hell if it's what I would have chosen to do if I had a choice. Poor kid. The boobs are changing with the pregnancy and he isn't happy about it. We didn't want to force wean him, but looks like my boobs had other ideas. Too bad that's how he falls asleep. We're struggling to find a new way. We'll get there. I'll get there. It will take time.

Happy new year everyone!

1 comment:

Clare said...

we've quit napping too. sucks.