Friday, January 22, 2010

Loop-the-Loop

Since I started teaching, by the time Friday rolls around I am a waste of space. It's go go go go go all week. On the days I don't teach, I am frantically working during nap times and any free moment to prepare for class. The weekends are spent reading the assignments and trying to get the little bit of contract work done that I have every week. I then have to steal an hour here and an hour there from mrp so I can squeeze some miles in. I have been trying to do longer runs on the weekends since I don't have much more time than three 4-5 mile runs during the week. So far, I've been managing to get the runs in--it helps that the weather has been FANTASTIC (well, relative to normal Januaries around here) and I have been able to get peanut out most days. However, mrp is going out of town for work Sunday-Tuesday. We'll see how badly I fall apart! Actually, my in-laws and my mom are coming to help in the evenings so it really shouldn't be any different than normal really. I'll miss mrp though.

Actually I miss him now. We have been so busy--he with work and the house and peanut and me with work and the house and peanut--that I feel like I haven't seen him in days. Peanut and I were playing in the basement this morning and peanut got into a box and started throwing colored tissue paper all over the place. I went to check it out and realized he got into the box where mrp stores all the notes and little artsy things I made and sent to him when I was away in NYC. I took out a couple of things and showed them to peanut and it really really made me think about how far we have come. Just 4 years ago I was preparing my valentine for mrp and now look at us. House, married, almost 2 kids. Yikes! Life happens at a blistering pace.

But besides realizing for the millionth time that time really does fly, I realized for maybe the hundredth time that when it's right, two people can really create something special. Looking at peanut savaging through a box filled with our love notes, mardi gras beads (long, probably boring story), glue-sticked origami paper collages and photographs of a slightly younger version of ourselves I couldn't help but really feel the awe and that no matter how difficult things are at times or how tired I feel or how nervous I am about where my career is headed or wondering how the heck am I going to be able to love TWO peanuts enough, that this is so so right.

4 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

I bet any story involving mardi gras beads is not boring. ;)

Mindi said...

Ha. Welcome to motherhood. And a great marriage. Enjoy every minute as fleeting as it is. That is my MO anyway! :)

Laura said...

I've noticed since I've had the two kids that it is really easy to get caught up in the every day stuff....but man when you get pics out of the last few years...or even farther back...Wow it really is amazing the journey that we have all taken isn't it?!

DC Running Mama said...

I find that I often miss my S.O. in the midst of all the madness. Nice to take a moment and thinking back to where it all begin. This is why we get married, right...birds n' bees, house and trees, baby in the baby carriage?