Saturday, January 09, 2010

The Winter Landscape

It's Saturday and it's awfully snowy. On tap for me is to work on my syllabus for my class while peanut naps. Once he wakes up I have to get him dressed and send him off for adventures with daddy. And that's when I can get my run in through this tundra of a wonderland. I just love it when the snow sticks to all the tree branches! It makes the snow 30 times prettier (and more tolerable), I swear! I am hoping to run 15 this weekend. Since I will have the time, I plan to run 7. I might even run 8 if I am feeling good. We shall see.

Tomorrow I am thinking about heading out with a group that runs the trails at the park right down the street with me. Last time I ran with that group I gained a stalker. I think the stalker moved away, so I should be safe to try again. Plus, I'll move down a level or two now that I'm slow. Before I had to run with the faster guys (not a super competitive group). Now I can probably run comfortably with the main pack. It should be interesting--I have never really embraced running on snowy trails. However, now I'm willing to give it a try because a) I'm so slow it won't matter if I slow down even more; b) my trail shoes are about the only ones not well past their expiration date and c) I'm pretty desperate to run with some company. It's lonely stuck in my basement on the mill or running the same roads all by myself all the time. Plus, I'm not sure how long I'll feel comfortable on the roads. I need to make a move!

So, the class. It starts on Tuesday. I am very nervous and not sure exactly how to prepare. However, I believe deep down that I have the potential to be a great teacher, so I just need to now my material and prep the best I can and trust myself it will work out. I am petrified of turning off my students on the first day only for them all to drop my class! I sure hope not. I actually toyed with the idea of baking chocolate chip cookies for them and then realized that was cheap. Heh. Anyway, I better get to work on that syllabus!

8 comments:

DC Running Mama said...

Don't they tell teachers not to smile for the first 3 months so that they know you are in charge? Maybe bake cookies at the end of the year? Good luck getting it all done! Running in the snow is my *favorite*, but maybe because it doesn't snow that often here!

JenC said...

Definitely don't bribe them. Remember how you felt about your teachers - there is a certain amount of respect granted from the get-go and you don't have to bribe them. You're going to be great!

I don't know how you keep up the running, but I'm impressed! I would love to run some trails, but can't justify the worry of falling down.

E-Speed said...

Thanks for the water stop! And so glad I texted to ask about your roads, what a pleasant route you have over there!

Mnowac said...

Good luck with your class, just be yourself and you will be fine. We all like you :)

Clare said...

is this a college class? you'll be fine...just be yourself and be prepared and they will like you. which matters, i think...if my students did like and respect me we'd get nowhere (but they're 14).

GP said...

You're going to be a superstar! We welcome you on campus. Once you get settled, let me know and we'll run into each other.

And once I get comfortable running again, I'll let you know because I'd really dig hitting the roads with you. Between treadmill and roads, I don't think I've broken out of 4-5 miles... and I don't think you need to carry me home ;-)

Have an awesome first class. I'm so excited for you.

Viper said...

Good luck with the class. I'm looking forward to the balmy temperatures in store for our region this week. Run, run, run. Cheers!

Katie said...

Good luck with your class tomorrow! While you may think bringing cookies would be cheap, the worst were professors who brought cookies to the LAST class (where we did professor evaluations). It was obvious they were attempting to placate us after a crummy semester.