Sunday, February 28, 2010

Great Friends and Low Mileage

It's 9:30 and I really should be retiring for the evening, but instead here I sit and rat-a-tat type away. I was thinking about what a great run I had this morning. It wasn't so much the run itself, it was the gorgeous winter scenery and the company of great friends who drove from far and wide just so I would have some company. Both times I have been pregnant now, I have come to appreciate my friends more than ever. Friends who drive many miles. Friends who wait while I drive for 20 minutes to get the park 1.5 miles away from my house (long story). Friends who slow down the pace. Friends who wait while I pee (and incidentally show my bare butt to some random dude walking his dog--oops!) Friends who make me feel very lucky.

The run itself was actually pretty spectacular for me these days. I am surprising myself with how relatively fast I'm running this time around. I am a good minute per mile faster on my runs this pregnancy than I was last pregnancy. I'd bet a lot of that has to do with the cold weather versus the summer heat. But I also like to think some of that is because I'm in better shape. Who knows. I'll take it whatever the reason! But, according to the garmins we were running 8:40's at least for a while over the course of 10 miles. And I was even effortlessly conversating at that pace. Seriously, it felt easy.

The rest of the week was pretty dismal for my running. I only got a run in two other days and each of those runs were just 4 measly miles on the mill. The weather was very bad so I couldn't sneak out after mrp got home and I certainly couldn't take peanut out in that. So, I was stuck in the basement and either wasting a nap time when I should be working or waiting until after peanut went to bed when I was pretty much in zombie mode with just enough energy to cook and eat dinner before crashing. The one night mrp came down and talked to me for four miles and the other run I sucked it up and wasted a nap time. The rest of the days of the week provided no such inspiration. Oh well. 18 miles is better than nothing. Hopefully this is a pregnancy running low-point.

Anyway, I guess I'll be hitting the hay now. Maybe if I get a good night's sleep I can start the next week off with a run.

2 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Aren't running girls just the best? I am jealous I couldn't be there...maybe when I can finally run again our paces will collide! :) I can't imagine running sub-9s right now...yikes...I definitely have some work to do! :)

DaisyDuc said...

The morning run was exactly what my doctor ordered. I can not imagine a better way to make my way back out onto the pavement after my long hiatus! So good seeing you and you seriously are an inspiration with how well you are still running!