Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Keep on Keepin' On

I can't believe I'm already in the third trimester! This pregnancy is flying by. In just about 12 weeks we'll meet our daughter. I cannot wait!

To celebrate entering this final chapter of my pregnancy, I met up with my friend Carmen and the running moms group she runs with every Saturday. Carmen wanted to get in 10 miles. I wasn't sure how that would work out for me with the whole toe-foot issues I was having early last week, but I figured I'd give it a go. I headed out with Carmen and two other women. The pace didn't feel too bad to start, but within a mile we hit the hills. Holy heck! Hills are rough while pregnant. I suck some wind up hills these days! These hills were long, but not as steep as the ones I usually run up so I managed to hang ok. After we crested the worst of the hills around mile three I felt more comfortable and just cruised along with the other ladies.

When we were almost to the turnaround, Carmen asked me if I wanted to know how fast we were going. She said 7:45 pace! This is nuts! Every run I'm running faster and faster. I definitely felt like I was running faster than I would have on my own, but it didn't feel THAT fast. If I were to set my treadmill at 7:45 pace I think I'd fall off! And there I was trotting along on a hilly run and having a conversation at that pace. Weird.

Of course the whole run wasn't 7:45 pace. According to Carmen's Garmin (heh), for the first 5 miles we ran something like 9:10; 9:00; 8:25; 8:01; 7:45. After the turn around one of the other women and I realized we graduated from law school together (we never had a class together) so we fell back a bit and chatted all the way back. Carmen said we finished around 1:24, which would be about an 8:20 average pace. That's nuts. Of course, I was pooped after the run but not as bad as I worried I'd feel. Nothing a little huevos rancheros and a cat nap couldn't cure, anyway.

This was a great run, but I've been noticing over the last week or so on my runs by myself I am feeling more and more sluggy especially for the first couple of miles. For instance yesterday was a beautiful evening and I hit the road as soon as mrp got home. I wanted to do 5 but once I started to run I realized 4 might be a wiser bet. I felt like I weighed as much as I do. My legs were logs. My stride was pathetic. I felt horribly awkward and just heavy. I putzed along and couldn't help but wonder if maybe my running days are numbered. While I don't think the end is that near--I think I can at least make it until 34 weeks like I did last time--I do know that even though I can still bust out an awesome run these days they are becoming fewer and farther in between than they were earlier in the pregnancy.

I can accept the limitations this watermelon under my shirt impose on me. I'll just take it day by day. I may need to start shortening my runs and taking more off days, maybe sub in a walk some days instead of a run. I'm open minded about it all and listening to the ol' bod. But in the meantime, as long as I generally feel good I'll keep on keepin' on!

1 comment:

DC Running Mama said...

That's an awesome pace! I don't think I even ran that on my run today:>