Friday, March 12, 2010

Running Strollers and Infants

I have a question for all my fabulous and experienced readers! How old was your baby when you started running with him\her in the running stroller? What kind of stroller did you use?

I got a BOB Duallie SUS for a steal on Craigslist and was planning to get the infant carseat adapter for walks and then running around 2 months or so (won't want to run with a giant double stroller until I'm strong enough again!) Last time it wasn't warm enough to take peanut out in the BOB until he was almost 4 months old. His neck was always very strong and I stuck to paved paths so I wasn't too worried about him (or the recommendation from BOB to wait until he was 8 months old). This time I'll be itching to run with both of them earlier since it will still be summer. I don't want to push it, though. If #2's not ready to hit the bikepath, I don't want to force the issue. At the same time, I will need to get my runs in!

So, please share your experience and advice so I can start planning my big comeback. Can't wait!

5 comments:

Carmen said...

I started with my baby at 3 weeks old (with car seat adapter and lots of blankets wedged for head support). I also stayed on smooth,paved trails for awhile.

Michelle Simmons said...

My pediatrician said that as long as baby is in a car seat, it's fine to go on day 1 (not that YOU will be able to, but baby could). She said they're plenty snug and safe in there so if it's safe to be in a car, it's safe to be in the jogger (my ped is a triathlete. ;)

I took Moana at about 3 weeks I think- that's when I was ready. She could have gone earlier I'm sure.

Trisaratops said...

Hey! Trying to figure this out myself. I have the BOB Ironman and LOVE it. But on the website it says you can't use the carseat adapter for running, just "walking due to the higher center of gravity." Is it just that they have to say that? Are you planning on running with the carseat adapter thingy...? So confused...

I ran with Bug when he was about 5 months in it--he had strong head support and slept the whole time.

The Salty One said...

Sara, this is exactly why I asked this question. I just saw the no running with car seat adaptor warning. I think in a double it should be ok since the big kid will be sitting down. I will see how it feels.

Carmen and Michelle, you are both making feel very hopeful! Thanks!!

The Chapples said...

I also ran very early with the BOB + infant seat adaptor. Was talking walks within the first couple of days and running within a week or two with it. I tried to stick to routes without a lot of bumps (like hopping on and off sidewalks) at first but he didn't seem to notice either way.