Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Weighty Matter

* I don't like to talk about weight and all that stuff. It makes me uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I've always kind of weighed a lot for my size. For instance, when my non-running friends are calling me Skeletor I still weigh a few pounds shy of 130 lbs. I know this isn't a lot in the real world and certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but for whatever reason I am not super comfortable discussing the topic.

At the same time, the weight gain this pregnancy is really bugging me. I've already gained 30 lbs from my pre-taper weight (I don't weigh myself during marathon taper or the month after). I'm sure I gained some pounds in the week after the marathon when I didn't run--happy pounds as a friend calls them. But still. I am not quite 26 weeks pregnant and up at least a pound a week. My body did the exact same thing last pregnancy, but I think because pregnancy was such a novel and interesting concept I didn't care so much. This time, I am caring and it is worrying me. It was one thing to need to lose 30 lbs over the winter after I had peanut, but it's a whole 'nother ball of wax to have to lose that in the summer. I can't hide in sweaters. It'll be racing season. Sigh.

I talked to my midwife about it. She said since I gained a lot and then lost it so easily last time (I was back to pre-pregnancy weight by 5-6 months post-partum) I really shouldn't worry about it. She said some women just gain a lot. It's just what they do. I talked about it with another pregnant athlete friend and her doctor said a lot of female athletes gain more than the recommended 25-35 lbs because we are so lean to begin with. I swear it feels like my metabolism has just shut down. I am not eating the thousands of extra calories I would need to pile on these pounds. I started tracking what I eat and I eat at the high end of the recommended range, but that range does not even take exercise or breastfeeding into the mix. And I'm not eating things like bags of Doritos or anything like that. I am cognizant of my lean protein intake, eat almost all whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies.

Sure, this doesn't happen to every athlete (damn you lean pregnant athlete freaks!) But at least anecdotally it seems fairly common for us normally lean active ladies. Before I tracked what I ate I was feeling a lot of guilt and worry about being a pig. I take pride in my fit body and it is very difficult to see it pack on the pounds even for the best cause in the world. I take responsibility for my fitness and I guess I just assumed it was my "fault" that I was gaining so much weight. But, by talking to my midwife and tracking what I've been eating I see I'm not a gluttonous pig or anything. I am eating what I need to eat to be healthy and this is what my body's doing with it. And if that means I get another kid as great as peanut out of the deal then I can live happily with some unfamiliar flab for a few months.

* I don't mean to be self-deprecating with this image. I just thought it was really cute and fitting--I feel like a little bit of a pig and this is a little bit of a pig! And it's a baby. And it looks like it's running.

7 comments:

Carmen said...

I would have never guessed you have gained 30 pounds. After seeing you the other day, I was a little jealous because you look all belly. I only gained 31 pounds with Porter but looked much heavier than you do (I have photographic proof on my FB page!). I say, forget the scale - you look awesome!

JenC said...

Who knows why we gain what we do, but I'm convinced it is what we need. I'm up 42 pounds and I'm not worried about it. You look great are running like a goddess and will be back at goal weight soon enough!

Nitsirk said...

I gained 50 when I was pregnant and it took me a year to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight so it could be worse! I wouldn't worry too much. You lost it easily the first time and you will again. Trust your body to know what it needs to do to be healthy.

Katie said...

I understand completely! I was not in racing shape when I got pregnant and was feeling a little soft. At my 22 week appointment I had gained 18 pounds and asked my midwife about it. I didn't think I cared as much as I really did--my voice broke a little when she said I was doing fine (I think I said something like "you just told me the baby weighs 15 oz and I've gained 18 pounds").

Good luck!

jsmarslender said...

I don't weigh myself regularly. When I got pregnant with Claire, I didn't know my weight except on doctor's visits. Same thing this time around. I think that women just gain differently during pregnancy; and I think that pregnancy alerts most of our bodies to hold on to the stores (or put 'em on).

You can relax knowing that you have the discipline to continue eating well and exercising through this pregnancy and that, like with Peanut, losing the extra weight won't take too long.

Oh, and I like the picture.

Sara said...

So I could have seriously written this post. Just gonna throw it out there--gained 55 with Bug and 62 with Bean. Awesome. Same thing--worked out, ran and swam through both pregnancies, ate pretty healthy...same results. Down 31 right now--halfway in less than a month, yahoo! But yeah. Still have 31 to go, and it sucks. Hard for us athletes to swallow, you know? But I lost mine by 5 months post partum last time, so I'm trying to remember that and just chill.

Hang in there, girl--you look fabulous and will back to kicking butt and taking names in no time--and with a cute little girl to boot. :)

allanjel said...

I say throw in the towel and get out the gallon of ice cream and 2 liter of cherry coke...mmmmmm!!!

Frustrating to do everything right and still not get the results you're looking for .... sound familiar? Hehe! Overachievers :)

All I do is read about the things a pregnant woman goes through and it is crazy! You really do lose control of your body to the baby. They call all the shots, so try not to be too stressed (pot calling the kettle black)!!

PS - I think that is going to be my specialty. Can you believe it? Me...ahahahaha delivering babies all day, every day, but I love it :)