Monday, April 05, 2010

Grandpa

My grandfather died last night. It wasn't a surprise. But still. These things are always so hard. In some ways it feels like a minor hurt after what I went through with my dad. But in other ways it feels huge because it dregs up what I went through with my dad.

I was very close with my grandfather. My mom was a teenager when she had me so she relied on her parents an awful lot for help raising my sister and me, especially after my dad died. Again, my grandfather's death is not something I haven't been anticipating, but no matter how much you try to prepare you just can't know how you will feel until it happens.

So far I just feel tired. I slept three hours last night. I was just too unsettled to sleep. I'd like to write more about what a great guy he was and stuff like that but I am just too tired and too swamped with trying to get ready for my class tomorrow in the middle of all this going on. I just need to get through tomorrow morning and I can deal with this better.

8 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Salty!

E-Speed said...

sorry sweetie. Hope you find time to grieve and remember your grandfather the way you would like to.

Michelle Simmons said...

:( I'm sorry for your loss.

Mindi said...

I too am so sorry to hear your sad news. Knowing a loved one is going to leave us doesn't make it any easier. Hugs coming your way.

Viper said...

I'm very sorry about your grandpa. I lost mine this year too. No matter how prepared you think you are, it's never enough. I hope you have some time to be with your thoughts.

Mnowac said...

I am so sorry for your loss Laura. If you need anything, please let me know. Sending you a hug.

DC Running Mama said...

I'm so sorry. You know that my grandmother is sick and I'm preparing for when this day comes, but the finality of it must be gutting.

jsmarslender said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you are finding time to yourself, and with family, to remember.