Thursday, April 29, 2010

On Her Way

Suddenly mrp and I are having a baby! I had my now bi-weekly midwife appointment yesterday and she said to not be surprised to have #2 even earlier than I had peanut. I had peanut a week early. At almost 32 weeks that means we need to be ready for a newborn within the next 6 weeks. 6 weeks is no time! And we have a lot to do!

#2 also feels massive all of a sudden. Her feet kick my diaphragm and make it hard to breathe. The pressure on my stomach makes me not want to eat anything (don't worry I still manage somehow). Strangely, running still feels good. It's hard to get myself out there to do it with wrapping up my teaching responsibilities, catching up with my other work, my crazy little dude peanut and everything else. But when I do go I feel good.

I am still gunning to run a few miles with my sister at the end of her first marathon (coming up on May 16)! I feel like that should be doable as long as I can maintain 4 days a week of running, especially if I can get in one run 6 miles or longer in there. On most days, I am much more content with 4 milers. I was doing 5, but 4 feels like plenty now. I may even allow myself some 3-milers or to mix in more walking as needed. So far, don't feel the need to walk, so that's good! I am hoping to run the last 10k with my sister if I can coordinate the logistics and hitch a ride to that part of the course.

I can't tell you how excited I am for my sister! Not only because I've been coaching her and already we've seen amazing improvements in her running, but because she was never believed she was athletic and she is proving her old self so wrong. I love helping formerly unathletic people find their inner athlete and there's nothing better than doing this for someone I love so much! There are so many women in particular that were never taught how important physical strength and endurance is to being a happy well-rounded person. I truly believe that tapping into the physical potential within ourselves is necessary to achieving our best in life in general. Hmm. I'll have to write more about this concept later!

In the meantime, I have tons of work to do and a babysitter so I might as well make the most of it and get it done so we can start focusing on this baby!

6 comments:

E-Speed said...

My baby sister is running the half at Cleveland as her first so I know how excited you are! It's going to be a fun day!

Catching up with Jessica said...

You are an inspiration! Michelle led me to you I will be a fervent follower. I am 15 weeks pregnant and have decided as of reading your blog, I have nothing to complain about! Love it.

X-Country2 said...

Mama Simmons was pimpin your blog, so I had to come visit another runner/pregnant lady.

I'm at the same place with 4 miles being my happy place. Seems like a nice number, I think.

Good luck to your sister, and hopefully you can keep her company for the final push.

Mnowac said...

I'm meeting some sloowww friends at 9am at Strawberry Lane on Suday for 5-6, you are welcome to join us. I am running 14, but getting the other miles in before meeting them. Weather is going to stink.

GP said...

I'm so happy for you (and E) getting your sisters running. Taking my mom to her first race and watching Neil catch the bug has been so satisfying. Not only because I want them to be healthy (my whole family—myself excluded, no pity intended—has always had natural thinness and apparent fitness, but things lurk beneath the skinny surface), but because they do dig deep for their inner athletes and seek to unearth their potential. It's like I've given them a gift that they use everyday, that they truly enjoy.

Now, if only they didn't find me too annoying to run with, we could share the experience. But I'm content to watch them pride up as they head toward the finish.

I'll be on the look-out for you and your sister!

kyle the girl said...

http://missasundisclosedlocation.blogspot.com/2010/05/letter-to-my-sister.html

There's your comment!