Monday, May 03, 2010

The Power of Running

As I'm sure you all know by now my sister is fixin' to run her very first marathon right here in Cleveland in 13 short days! Of course I took it upon myself to train her for it. As I've said before, there isn't much I love more than spreading my love of running! I logged into her blog this morning and I couldn't help but share what I found. I share it not to toot my own horn as a sister/coach, but rather as further evidence of the power of running. Behold!

A LETTER TO MY SISTER
I just can't thank you enough for helping me train and using your resources to get me through this. Nobody has ever been so nice to me or helped me so much with anything ever. A marathon is an important goal for anyone, but for me I'm sure you know it's the biggest most important thing I've ever done in my life, and even though training is difficult for me and my lifestyle I fully intend to continue for future races.

Training has changed who I am and who I want to be. It's shaped this whole new person that I always wished and never thought I could become. I still struggle every day with feeling that I'm somehow broken or can't have a normal happy life, but becoming an athlete--not just a runner, not just someone who will run a marathon once, but a real athlete--has taught me that I am not broken, I am strong. It's irrefutable proof that my strength of will can carry me through anything, even if it's sometimes hard, even if I sometimes don't want to do it, even if other people tell me I can't or shouldn't or I'm no good. Even if I am broken and even if my life is never normal, I really can get through anything and there is no reason for me to give up hope, ever.

I thank you every time I run for giving me that gift. Every time someone tells me how great I look I thank you. Every time I sheepishly decline a drink because I have to run 15 miles the next day and someone looks at me in awe I thank you. Every time I "matter-of-factly" tell someone I'm in training I thank you. Every time I look in a mirror and see a woman I am proud and happy to be--a woman who was once hidden by fat and anger and shame--I thank you.

Whether I make it through the finish at 3:59:59 or if I break my foot and can't finish at all, coming this far is a great achievement. I'm doing it for me, but I am inspired and motivated to do it because of you. I am proud to be your sister and so excited to be following in your tracks. I love you!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, what a wonderful message! Congrats to athlete and coach--I'm sure the actual marathon will be a celebration of her training!

Mindi said...

Very cool. How nice that running has brought you together in such a positive way. Good luck little Salty!