Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Premaster

*









It's my birthday! Sorry, I must have been a bad girl because whoa does the weather suck today! It's chilly and POURING. Oops. Next year I'll behave and get us some sunshine and 72, promise!

This is my first age group bump since I started seriously running. 35-39 sounds kind of old doesn't it? Oh well. At least it's not as competitive as my old one (well at least until everyone catches up to me in a couple of years!)

Last year I had such a sucky birthday. I had just quit my job and my whole sense of self was lost somewhere. I was still adjusting to being a mom and then adjusting to be a stay-at-home mom and everything just seemed so out of whack for me. It was tough.

But in this past year, I've really learned a lot about myself. I've found some areas that need improving:

- house cleaning
- money managing
- time managing

I've discovered things I'm really good at:

- raising a kid
- teaching
- adjusting to life changes

The changes were aplenty last year and I am definitely not settled quite yet. Mainly, I have no idea what I want to do with myself professionally. I don't think I want to start my own practice for a variety of reasons. I think I'd like to stay as current and bring in a little bit of cash teaching and doing the odd contract job until the kids are settled in school (preschool or otherwise). After that, if I have to speculate I'd say I'll go back full-time but with some schedule flexibility. Hopefully the economy will improve enough in this time that I'll be able to negotiate some good terms for myself. We shall see! I'm open-minded though. Anything can happen between now and then!

I am also really enjoying helping a few people reach their running goals. Helping people achieve their running potential is incredibly rewarding to me! I'd like to parlay this into a business. I don't think I'll ever be a full-time coach, but I think after achieving some success with my current trainees I will launch a small coaching business and see where it takes me.

I also have a running website idea that I've been mulling over for more than a year. One of my goals for this year is to get this website and my coaching business up and running (oops. Unintentional, I swear!) before I start teaching again in January.

Other than that, #2 should be arriving in a little over a month! I can't believe it's so close already. After her arrival, I'll have a couple of weeks of nothing until mrp and I start heading to the market on Saturdays! For those of you who don't know, mrp has a side business growing and selling organic produce. You can see his blog about it here. It's a lot of work, but it's really fun and rewarding. I handle most of the marketing aspect of it and mrp does all the labor and techy stuff. We make a good team. It's going to be a busy summer, but a good one. Hopefully, the summer will end with a solid training comeback on my part. Oh, I cannot wait to get back up and really running! CANNOT WAIT!

So, that's this year's birthday report. Not nearly as exciting as a race report, but those will be back in the fall. Oh yes they will!

* Here's a little birthday bump comparison. The first photo (hair down) was taken on Sunday at 34w1d pregnant with #2. The second photo (pony tail) was taken on Oct. 25, 2008 when I was 34w6d pregnant with peanut.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Happy birthday!

Quinto Sol said...

Happy, happy birthday... may you have a grand day.

jsmarslender said...

Happy birthday! Rest up this month - your summer sounds busy & fun.

DR said...

beautiful -- you are all baby in both of them. have a great day!