Monday, June 14, 2010

Bouncing Back

I'm sure it's been said before, and maybe even by me, but these last weeks of pregnancy are so much like a taper. Well, except for the part about not knowing the day of the event--that part drives me batty! I've been resting more, making sure to eat well and hydrate and stay calm and relaxed. Last time I was studying books about birth, but this time I am letting go. Mrp got a book about how to help your partner through labor at the library and he's studying. I'm seriously relaxing and letting go. I haven't even packed my hospital bag yet! That doesn't mean I don't have a bit of the taper crazies. I spend a lot of time resting or walking and thinking, of course. I wouldn't be me if I wasn't thinking.

Occasionally, I spend this thinking time reflecting on my last marathon(s). I was reading my logs from last year and it is totally obvious how stressed out I was right around the time of the Akron Marathon--my first and hopefully only dnf. So much was going on in my life all at the same time and I'm sure it seriously affected my running. Of course, as with most things, a bad race is usually not caused by one thing (I still maintain my taper sucked). But, life stress was abundant at the time and it has zinged me often in the past.

I managed to bounce back from the dnf and win the Towpath Marathon a couple of weeks later (it's small). My time was definitely not even close to what I have the potential to run, but we'll chalk that one up to pregnancy (it was a mystery to me why I ran so relatively slow until about a week later and then it suddenly made sense)! It was actually a good race experience--I had fun and did my best that day. No matter what, you really can't ask for more.

Besides reflecting on past marathons, of course I'm reflecting on my past birth experience. It was um, well, long. I was thinking about the other day and I was in labor for 49 hours! 49 hours! Sure, I'm nervous I'll have another crazy long back labor, but I am hopeful that I'll have a more positive experience this time around. I am going to try to have a natural childbirth again. My midwive's have promised it shouldn't be nearly as long this time, but have cautioned me that I will likely have back labor again. So, I've been doing my all-fours exercises as prescribed in hopes of maybe getting my stubborn baby to get into the proper position. But I also think that I was so amped up and excited last time that I ran out of steam. If I would have rested more and relaxed perhaps my labor wouldn't have stalled. Even if there was nothing I could have done, I believe relaxing and letting go--and I mean submitting to the birth process--will help me this time. I have high hopes that like my post-dnf marathon that this birth will be fun (well, let's say a positive experience!) and that I do my best that day (and we're going to optimistically stick with singular day here!). Because just like a marathon, I really can't ask for more. Other than a healthy happy #2, of course!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Good luck as you get close to your due date! I am envious of your "progress" since I am 40 weeks, 1 day and not at all dilated or effaced. Dang. Well, at most, I'll be pregnant for 13 more days. I hope you have a great birth experience!

kyle the girl said...

(it is small, but you still won it and winning looks good on you.)