Thursday, June 24, 2010

Labor Break

I am in the middle of a labor break. I don't know what it is about my body, but it is very temperamental when it comes to labor. I had nice steady and progressive contractions from 1:00 p.m. until midnight last night. At the suggestion of my doula, I drank a small glass of wine at 11:30 to see if it would help me get some sleep. I drank it and it made me sleepy. I laid down and started dozing in between contractions and before I knew it, it was 2:00 a.m. I had fallen asleep and when I woke up the contractions had stopped. UGH.

I could have tried to get them going again, but it seemed stupid to do that at 2:00 a.m. so I sucked it up and went to bed feeling somewhat defeated. When I woke up at 5:00 and they still weren't back I broke down and cried, but after speaking to my doula about it and making a plan I feel better. Apparently, this is weird, but not totally crazy weird and nothing to worry about. Just annoying really. I need to do my best not to wear myself out, so I am just going to go about my day and when they come back and labor starts again then labor starts again. No rush.

In the meantime, mrp is working from home and we're having a nice morning with peanut. I'm planning to meet my good buddy BH who's studying to be an OB nurse for a walk and I am excited about that. AND I have faith that I will actually make it through labor and onto the other side with a happy healthy #2 very very soon!

Update: Contractions started back up spontaneously a little before 7:00 a.m. I'm about right where I left off last night. Also discovered a lovely fistful of bloody show--yum! Sorry for the tmi, but it's about that time in any mommy blog to overshare :) This could be a road to nowhere too, but I am holding out hope #2 will be here before the weekend.

Update #2: Just got back from a walk and lunch with BH. Had a nice time and it got my mind off of everything. Contractions still coming although don't really feel like they're getting closer, but they do feel stronger. Going to go lay down and try to rest and we'll see what the rest of the day has in store!

Update #3: Had a nice day. Played with mrp and peanut down by the river and threw rocks. Hung out with my mom for a little while. Went to the library and then had burritos with my boys. Peanut is down for the night now. I would say everything's been holding steady since my last update. The intensity of the contractions has pretty much stayed the same most of the day and they aren't getting closer together so I'm pretty much assuming I'm still in prelabor and not even officially in labor yet. Mrp's staying home tomorrow too and basically I'm hoping to have this baby by her due date (Monday) and not wear myself out in the meantime. Will update if there's anything interesting to say!

Update #4: Contractions picking up in intensity. Mom's here just in case. Trying to rest. Trying ...

5 comments:

Mindi said...

I hope everything goes smoothly! Can't wait to see #2!

DR said...

good luck salty! hang in there! post pics when you are able too!

jsmarslender said...

Thinking of you and hoping your labor and delivery go well!

Mnowac said...

Oooh maybe Francie will be born on my birthday June 25th! Good luck!

Katie said...

Good luck! Hope labor picks up and you get a smooth delivery! My little one, Harry, finally arrived (though 3 days late)! Can't wait to read some good news!