Sunday, August 08, 2010

Cold in the Summertime

For the most part this was a good week. My hope at the outset was to run 3 miles continuously by the end of the week. I ran 5 hilly miles continuously this morning, so I far exceeded that goal. It felt good physically and I was so happy to get out by myself and enjoy a gorgeous summer morning on the run.

Really the only bad thing about the week was that I caught a cold and then peanut caught the cold and then poor #2 caught the cold. How pathetic my poor little 5 week old was snorting and sniffing. I felt awful to watch her flail around trying to clear her airways. All the weeks of battling peanut's stuffy nose during the winter he was born paid off and at least helped me not feel as horrible as I would if I never experienced it before. It seemed to be a very mild cold, but even that seems vicious when it afflicts a newborn. Poor girl. We managed to help her sleep by putting her swing in our room and putting her in it without it swinging. It worked well. She slept 5 hours straight on Friday night and 6 hours straight last night! Hopefully that carries forward when she's back in her bassinet in a day or two. We're all on the up and up now though, thank goodness.

Anyway, despite the cold I got out and ran 6 days this week and felt darn good all things considered. Some may disagree, but I find getting a run in actually makes me feel better when I have a cold.

Mon: 2x BOB walked .25 miles then ran 1 mile, walked 1:00, ran 1 mile walked 1:00 and then ran 1.5 miles for a total of 3.5 miles of running.

Tue: 2x BOB super hot out so just ran 1.5 took a water break and then ran 1.5 back.

Wed: off to make time for an epic playdate with all my cousins' kids and then the farmers market

Thu: 2x BOB first running day with the cold and I wasn't sure what to expect. Ended up running 4. Took a short walk break around .25 miles in and then another at 2 miles and then ran the 2 miles back without stopping.

Fri: 2x BOB. Still sick. Boo. Didn't let it stop me! Ran 4 miles only taking a short break to show peanut a deer a little shy of .5 miles in.

Sat: 4 miles all by myself! Ran my usual 4 mile route from home during nap time and averaged 9:32 pace. Yeehaw!

Sun: 5 miles! Ran alone in the morning and felt really good. Left the watch at home and just enjoyed every second of it!

Total: 24 miles!

2 comments:

Ness said...

Hi I am so inspired by you. I hope i will be as energetic as you after my delivery. I miss my long runs now i am managing to run few times a week and it feels great. I am sorry to hear about your cold. Hope you all get better soon. :)

chelle said...

Francie doesn't go in the BOB yet, does she? I'm getting a friend's old jogger, but I haven't been in a rush to get it since I didn't think I would be able to use it until early spring. I bought a jogger-esque regular stroller though that I figured I would use to take long walks right from the start. It's been a long time since I've run at all though, so I'm going to try to phase it back in slowly for my own sake.