Monday, August 23, 2010

Crocodile Rock

It was an interesting week. #2 Slept 6 hours on Monday, 7 hours on Tuesday and then 8 hours on Wednesday! Since, the best she's done is 5. I think we just got lucky there. But, I am NOT complaining about 5. 5 works! She goes straight back down after nursing, so getting up once or twice a night is no biggee.

On the peanut front, I bought him some crocs this weekend totally on a whim. I wasn't sure if he'd like them but judging from his reaction this morning, I guess he does! He saw them on our recliner as we were walking down from his room and demanded I put them on him over his footed pajamas. He just gets cuter every day! Although, I can't get the kid to try new fruits and veggies. He eats strawberries, bananas, raisins and cucumbers but won't try anything else. I tried red peppers picked fresh from the garden and he refused. Today I tried little cubes of plum and he ate a couple but then refused to eat any more of them. It was a delicious sweet juicy plum. Who wouldn't like that? Is he just trying to get under my skin? Any suggestions for getting him to be more willing to try new fruits and veggies?

As for running, I feel like I am getting back into shape. I have been feeling better and better on the run. I did three 6 milers with the double BOB and it wasn't bad at all. I didn't take the Garmin--I'm not sadistic :)

I did take the Garmin out for my weekend runs. I did a little over 8.5 hilly miles averaging 9:14 pace. My first mile was 10:21 or something atrocious--it's uphill, but still. Ugh. I managed to run the last 2.5 in the 8:30's so that made me happy. I was working, but not as hard as I had to work to run 8:35 for one mile last week. Then I followed that up on Sunday with another 8.25 miles with MN around 9:20 pace. I am not sure of the exact pace because I forgot to restart my the watch after stopping to fix my shoe. It was great to get out with a friend!

Anyway, I am hoping that by doing two longer runs on the weekends when I can run without the kids that running with the massive duallie stroller will feel easier during the week. So far the strategy seems to be working.

And with that, here's what I did last week:

Mon: (2x BOB) 4 miles easy

Tue: (2x BOB) 6 miles easy with Carmen and her boys. 2 double BOBs chugging down the path: Look out!

Wed: (2x BOB) 6 miles easy at NC. I even did the hills! Go me!

Thu: off. The farmer's market takes a lot out of me and I need a break!

Fri: (2x BOB) 6 miles with Evie and her little one on the towpath. I could run forever on the towpath!

Sa: Alone! 8.53 in 9:14 pace. Ran from home to NC and around the trails and back. Super stoked with the pace with the hills and trails.

Sun: Ran 8.25 (no kids!) with MN around 9:20 pace. Hilly, but overall an easy effort and a fun time.

Total: 38.78

Weight: I feel like I'm starting to lose it, but I decided I'm not going to weigh myself for a couple of weeks because I was obsessing and getting depressed seeing the huge number. Also, weighing myself everyday at this point is like watching the kettle. It'll happen. I have faith!

2 comments:

jsmarslender said...

Good point about watching the kettle. About Peanut and food - Claire goes on streaks. She'll be all about carrots or peas or apples or bananas or whatever and then a few days later, it's something else. I wish I could remember where I read it (some baby food recipe website), but if you were to record everything your toddler eats for a week, they're likely getting a good balance. Monday might seem like an all bread day, but that could be followed by a Tuesday of veggies. I think that just offering new things is what's important. And the kids seeing mom and dad enjoying a variety of foods. Peanut is lucky to have farmers' market parents!

Anonymous said...

Do not worry about the food. Seriously. Not a big deal. I myself only ate corn for the longest time... -maybe raw carrot every once in a while. But that was it. Then I added peas and slowly other things followed. But I am talking years here... My parents never made a fuss about it and just always offered me different stuff. I think the worst thing is to give the child the impression that it is an issue. Because that is when they use it as a power struggle.
My mom always said: "no healthy child ever starved in front of a full plate." I think that is very true. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. And I am sure so is he. Just trust him.