Tuesday, September 07, 2010

My Pickle

Per usual I found myself feeling stressed out, as if I was putting too much pressure on myself.

"I NEED to lose this weight!"

"I NEED to get back into shape!"

"I NEED to get in at least 40 miles!"

Yadda yadda yadda. What else is new? I always seem to get into this pickle. At least I caught myself. On my run on Saturday, when my back was hurting and I felt myself bemoaning the slow pace and my fat butt, I decided enough was enough. I had a baby 10 weeks ago. Who cares where I was at this point after my last pregnancy. Who cares where other people were at 10 weeks post partum. I am where I am and I'm happy. Sure, I want to lose the weight and get faster, but now is not the time to MAKE it happen. Now is the time to get back into running and have fun and let nature take it's course. It's not the time to push through injuries and be a hero. Duh.

So, instead of doing my hard longer run of 10 hilly miles I had planned for Sunday, I left the watch at home and enjoyed 7 easy hilly miles. It doesn't sound like much of a compromise, but in my head it was. I had to shut up the "go go go go GO! No matter what!" voice and deviate from my plan. Nor surprisingly, my back is much better (I must have po'd my sacroiliac joint which manifested in a dull ache in my lower back and a sharp stabby pain in my groin if I laid on my side.)

In other news, #2 is 13 lbs! She's 90th percentile for height and weight. Atta girl! She is so stinkin' cute! She smiles and babbles and is so so lovable. I never thought I could love another as much as peanut, but lo and behold I do!

And with that, here's what I did last week!

M: (2x BOB) 6 miles no watch

T: (alone!) My mom watched the kids and I ran 6.12 alone averaging 8:41. Last mile was 7:51!

W: (2x BOB) Met my friends and their kiddos for 7. Definitely feeling Tuesday's run!

Th: off

F: (2x BOB) Another friend run. Felt like poo.

Sa: (alone!) Ran 8.1 hilly miles averaging 9:16 pace

Su: (alone!) 7 very enjoyable easy miles. No watch.

Total: 40.22 miles

Weight: Lost 2 more lbs so that's a positive. Still have 26 to go.

4 comments:

S Club Mama said...

good for you! You are doing the best thing for your body and I congratulate you. You are so right; it doesn't matter where you or anyone else was at 10 weeks (FYI I was not doing anything). It's such a healthy standpoint to take.

Nitsirk said...

Hang in there. You are so far ahead of most women (myself included) but I know that we always compete against ourselves or some "standard." Give yourself a break. You run more now than most people do...ever (faster too!).

Katie said...

I have to say it--you rock! I gave birth 10 days before you did and just cannot get it together--at least in the sense of getting back into a regular running routine.

I am very impressed with how you are doing! One question about the BOB--do you use the infant carrier attachment? What kind of surface do you run on? I have a BOB for running but haven't tried it out yet with my 11w5d baby boy since my regular stroller with the attachment seems to bounce all over the sidewalks. I love living in a city but it does make it tough to find smooth areas for running that won't jostle the baby's neck. Any suggestions!

I keep tracking your progress as inspiration to get my butt back in gear. Sometimes I feel like there's no way I could ever qualify for Boston again. Sigh.

The Salty One said...

Aww shucks. Thanks, Katie!

I use the infant car seat adaptor for #2. It's great, even on bumps. I took peanut out in the single BOB wo the car seat when he was 4.5 months old. He had a nice strong neck. Most of our runs are on a paved path at a local park. It has some sharp turns, small hills and a few bumps, but for the most part it's pretty smooth.