Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Mrp!

Today is sweet sweet mrp's birthday! Peanut, #2 and I have lots of fun things planned. I can't tell you about them though because sometimes mrp sneaks a peak at this here blog and I don't want to spoil the surprises.

It's kinda funny. Before we had kids mrp and I always said birthdays and Hallmark holidays were dumb and that as long as we appreciated each other the rest of the year there's no need to go bonkers for these holidays. Well, cue life with two under two and suddenly if we don't celebrate birthdays and other holidays well, we'll just fall asleep long before we ever remind each other how much we appreciate each other! So, although the tots and I can't offer up anything spectacular it's important to us to show daddy and mrp how much we love him!

In other news, that last post was just kinda hanging out there with no explanation. Sorry about that. I wanted to articulate those ideas before I forgot. Basically, I've been thinking a lot about what makes me happiest about running and what I want from it. I love the social aspect so much more than I ever thought. I love finding out new stuff about myself. I love being pushed further than I could ever push myself. I love improving as a runner and as a person. It's not just about the pr's I log. There's more to what I want from running than that!

I am a pretty self-motivated person and can achieve a lot on my own by sheer will, but I also know that I can do a lot better and enjoy myself a lot more if I have some company. That company can be a team I'm on whose members support each other. That could be people to run easy with or on the track with or other workouts with. This seems like no big deal, but with two babies it's kinda hard for me to get away from extended periods of time. Basically I have a short window every day to get my running in and that rarely lines up with anyone else's window. I have a feeling I will just have to enjoy the few runs for which I have company this winter and figure out how to make the rest of them entertaining!

As far as coaching, I think I really need to switch things up and attack my weaknesses and hone my strengths as a runner. I have come to realize I am not nearly as self-aware as I once thought I was, so I think I need some objective eyeballs on my training. Lucky for me I have an awesome husband who is both incredibly insightful about me and running. The only thing is he is wary of coaching me again. He coached me through my first half and first marathon which both went great! I exceeded my goal both times, never got injured and enjoyed training thoroughly. I was new to the sport and started reading about other theories of training and decided to try some things on my own. According to mrp I fired him, but I just needed to learn about other training techniques and experiment a bit to grow as a runner. Now that I've done that I feel like mrp and I together could really do something special together. How awesome would it be to achieve success together in this way. Once we get my training plan together we'll have to work on mrp's comeback plan, but that's for another post!

Here are last week's numbers

M: 6 EZ with 2x BOB

T: 8 with "tempo" with 2x BOB. Since I had the stroller I just wanted to run 4 at an up-tempo. I made it 7:59, 7:54, 7:39, 7:25. Not bad. The first 2 were slightly uphill and the last two were into the wind so I'll take it!

W: 6 EZ with 2x BOB with friends averaging in the 8:40's.

Th: 8 with the 2x BOB with 6 x 100 strides in the grass (I parked the stroller in front of some construction vehicles working so peanut would be entertained by more than just his insane mother sprinting back and forth in front of him :)

F: 6 EZ with 2x BOB

Sa: 14.1 averaging 7:44 pace! I ran the first half with my friend BB who is training for NYC. She was supposed to do 18 at 7:40 pace. We ran most miles in the 7:30's together and then she went on while I turned back and ran the second half alone averaging in the high 7:40's. Great run. It felt way easier than I feared it would.

Su: 6 EZ with the 2x BOB

Total: 54.1

Weight: Did not lose a single pound! But I really think something's going on because I feel a lot leaner. Trying not to sweat the scale!


No comments: