Sunday, October 17, 2010

Not My Marathon Morning

It's a perfect day for racing a marathon. I'm up early and getting ready to head out for my long(ish) run while ~80% of my peeps are in Columbus making their way to the starting line as I type. Part of me wishes I was there. Part me wonders where I'd be running-wise if I didn't get pregnant last year. All of me is happy I'm at home now with peanut thunking upstairs in his crib (he's up and ready to party, apparently!) and #2 asleep in hers. I am happy with how things are. But that doesn't mean my running dreams have disappeared.

I have a running bucket list, of sorts.

5k: 17:xx

5 mile: 29:xx

Half Marathon: 1:23

Marathon: 2:59


I've been giving it a lot of thought and I think that I don't want to train for a marathon until my short races indicate I am more than capable of a sub-3. I just don't want to commit the time and energy and redirect that away from other things unless that goal is well within reach. I think if I reach my shorter race bucket list times then and only then will I go for a full again.

So, I guess that means I'm training for short stuff for a while. I have no idea how to go about doing that! Can I achieve these goals on my own? Do I need a coach? Can I find some training buddies who are willing to work with my goofy schedule?

I am getting up there in age, so honestly I do feel a little pressure to get on it! But at the same time I've really only trained somewhat seriously for 2 years, so I think there is still quite a bit of improvement ripe in these getting-old legs.

So this morning as I cheer on many friends achieving their running dreams, I'll be taking one tiny step towards mine.

1 comment:

Trisaratops said...

I hear ya--I was so excited cheering for everyone online today! But it sure made me wish I was there!

Sounds like a plan. I'm planning on doing the Spring Classic Half and shooting for a 1:40ish, and then a 3:40 in May in Cleveland--you know, in case you want to pace me since that's, like, your 9 month pregnant pace. ;)