Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ode to E

I remember once a long time ago, maybe even before I even met her in person, some dude gave my friend E crap on her blog about calling herself E-speed. He basically said she wasn't speedy and the name didn't fit.

I remember a while later I had to convince the girl that she could run a sub-20 5k. It took a lot of work to break her down and convince her to drag her butt out to the race, but she came. Of course, I was right.

I remember another long conversation on the phone after E ran a 50k. I remember telling her if she focused she'd be a great marathoner. "Eh. I don't know," she said. She liked pacing and ultras and running with friends slowly for fun (like running 11:00 miles with me when I was pregnant with peanut!). She wasn't sure she could give all that up in the name of making a name for herself.

I don't know what finally convinced her to focus on her own running, but she did and in 2 short years, her pr went from 3:16 to 2:49:53!

I always joke with her that if I can't train and race at a high level, she can do it for me. And she did. So awesome! And inspiring. In no way do I want to diminish from her amazing achievements, but witnessing her improvement makes me know I can do it too. Maybe not make quite such a big leap, but there's a whole heck of a lot of untapped potential in these here legs and with the right mix of hard work, support and hutzpah I have some big prs to come!

Maybe some guy in blog-land is rolling his eyes and saying I can't make big improvements as a runner with two babies to take care of or because I'm getting old or just because I'm me. But the key, as I have learned from E, is to aim high and keep aiming despite the naysayers, the bad races and workouts and the doubts. Keep your eyes on the prize and believe.

2 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Of course you can! I'm rooting for you.

And rooting for E! So amazing. She has worked so hard, and it's so fun to see it pay off for her! :)

E-Speed said...

Thanks Laura! We should look that guy up and ask if my nickname is finally appropriate now ;)

I have no doubt you will start to tackle a bunch of these times soon too now. I think it is great so many women around here are getting faster, it makes us all better!