Monday, November 01, 2010

Switchin' It Up

So, that half marathon I was planning for this upcoming weekend sold out. It went from 200-something entrants last year to 1100-something this year and closed 3 weeks before the day of the race! I thought about groveling, but calmly accepted a spot on the wait list instead. Upon a little thought on the subject, I realized that other than hanging out with my friends a half really wasn't in my running plans right now. I pretty much wrote it off.

Of course, to complicate my life I just received an e-mail that I'm in the race if I want to be. Now I feel torn, but I think I am going to pass. It's $55, basically an all day adventure and I'm not in shape for a good half yet. As fun as it probably would be I just feel like I can't justify the cash or the time. I'd rather save it for fast legs. Instead, maybe I'll run a very small local 5k and sort of race under the radar for my first real race post-#2. It would save me about $40 and about 4 hours of time. Mrp and the kids could even come and cheer me on.

As for my running plans ... I am sort of not sure what I want to do. I know I want to focus on shorter races until I get my times down. I don't want to commit the time and energy to marathon training until I can cross off the sub-3 marathon off the bucket list. Finishing another marathon or even running a slight pr is not motivating to me at this point. Part of it is that I don't want to devote the time and energy to marathon training, but another part is that I have never ever done anything with running other than marathon training. It's time to switch things up in Saltyland.

But what exactly to do? I really want to switch things up and do 5k training. I like this idea, because my main short race goal is to go sub-18 in the 5k. However, I have no idea how to do this. I think I am going to write my own training plan and mrp will help me execute it. My rough plan is to run lots of 60 mile weeks (12-ish) through the winter with one faster tempo and one longer slower tempo, more moderate paced miles and a faster shorter longer run than I usually do. I think this will build a nice aerobic base. Then after that, I will start working on my speed and getting into more race specific stuff for the next 12 weeks. I plan on racing a couple of times a month from March through the end of my training cycle in May. I'll do everything from 5k - 10k, but my main focus will be 5k. If my times get down to where I want them, then I will train for a fall 'thon. If not, then I will reassess and decide where I want to go for the fall. I could keep working on the short stuff and see what happens in the summer and if things look good by the end of July, I could still jump in an October or November marathon or a half any time in the fall. We shall see!

In the meantime, I'm just building back up and doing a little up-tempo here and there. I'll probably run three or four short races between now and the new year just for fun and to see where my fitness is.

Here are last week's numbers!

M: Off

T: 9 with some friends and the strollers (2x BOB)

W: 7.5 with Evie and the kids (2x BOB). Another fun Wednesday run and play!

Th: 8 on the mill during nap time. Did 5 x 800 hard\800 moderate. Paces were 6:58 and 7:53. Not crazy hard, but not an easy workout either. 4 x 100 @ 6:00 after.

F: 6 easy with the kids (2x BOB)

Sa: Annual girls Halloween Run! Met CV for 4.5 and then ran 7.5 with the crew. Ran with a 2:44, 2:49 and 2:52 marathoner. Can I get fit by osmosis, please?! Super fun! Averaged 8:12 pace on the trails, which is very good.

Su: 7.5 alone. Averaged 8:19 pace. Did 7 x 100 strides during mile 7.

Total: 50

Weight: Lost another pound. Slowly getting there.


1 comment:

Janet Edwards said...

Ha, your first paragraph could have been mine. I wanted in STG, got closed out, emailed RD, got on wait list and just heard news yesterday too and was then torn. I went back and forth all day yesterday but I have decided that I don't feel as in shape for it as I want to be, don't want to spend the money and figure I might as well just get in the BT run I have been longing to do!