Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cream

When I was in law school I remember visiting one of my favorite professors to discuss a paper I was working on. After discussing the paper he asked me how I felt about exams that semester and I revealed to him I was really worried I biffed one of them. He sat back in his chair and chuckled. "Salty," he said, "cream rises to the top."

I walked out of his office contemplating that. It clicked for me right then and there. Yes. If I work hard and give it my all I might not always have a perfect exam, but overall it will work out. I just need to let go and let it happen.

I'm bad about remembering positive affirmations like this. Like many athletes, I so easily let my head get bogged down with negativity. Sometimes I fight it for a while, but it's just so easy to let the negativity win. It's seems crazy that my or anyone's natural tendency is to berate ourselves, but apparently that's the way it goes. It's frustrating. Today's my birthday and as I get older I can't help but realize that life is too short to beat myself up. I work hard. I am a good guy. I deserve to be treated nicely. So I better start doing it myself. Learning how to be my own biggest fan won't just help me reach my running goals, but help me be a better person in general.

One of the tenants of sports psychology is self-talk. Obviously, this post is related to that. Over the coming months one of my goals is to replace all that negative nelly b.s. with my own inner fan club. As obvious and simple sounding as it may seem, it's going to take a lot of work!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Happy birthday! Hope your next year is even better than the one you just completed!

E-Speed said...

This is twice your titles have fooled me this week. I came expecting Clapton today and It's Getting Hot in Here Sunday, lol :) Just keep plugging away, we will figure this mental stuff out and our races will fall in line soon!