Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Now What

With the half over, now it's time to focus on speed training. I'm really excited to spend the next two months learning how to really suffer! Of course, I'm looking forward to knocking down a bunch of shorter race pr's too.

After that will be a fall marathon. I'm fairly certain I will train for and run the Columbus Marathon. The goal will be sub-3. I feel like if I want to do anything with this whole running thing I need to achieve that goal sooner rather than later. I know I am physically capable of achieving that time in the fall. I also know there are more factors at play than my physical fitness.

I alluded to the lessons the half on Sunday taught me. The main thing I learned is that I need to work on mental training. Now this is nothing new. It's something I've openly struggled with for years now. However, I'm done whining about it and attempting to put bandaids on my problem. If I want to go anywhere with running and even remotely come close to achieving my potential I need to adopt a formal mental training plan.

I'm lucky to have a USOC sports psychology workbook in my possession and in the absence of something better, I plan to follow its advice to a T and get my head in shape. I'll write more about what I think are my specific weaknesses later, but I can guarantee that there will be lots and lots of posts about this new aspect of my training plan.

In addition to G's training plan and the mental training I also know there are a couple of other things that aren't quite as important, but would really help me achieve my goals. The first is to work on core strength. I tend towards minor muscular injuries of the hips and lower back, so this would go a long way to avoiding unnecessary physical discomfort there in addition to improving my form which should allow me to be more efficient along 26.2 miles. The second is my diet. As a busy mom I often just eat whatever is in front of me. Usually it's not too bad but still too often it's things like cookies or cupcakes or other crap. I often mindlessly eat or stress eat and while I'm certainly not fat I could stand to loose a couple of unnecessary pounds and generally burn some cleaner fuel. And lastly, I need to keep the stress in check and make sure I get quality sleep. Peanut and #2 are both sleeping really great now (knock on wood!) so the sleep thing is totally improving. Stress is always a battle for me, but I'm working on it!

So anyway, that's where the road will be taking me the next few months. Well, the running road anyway! I'll also be mommying, helping mrp with his farming business, being a very part-time contract attorney, among other things. It's going to be a busy but awesome summer. I can feel it!

1 comment:

ramblings of a runnner said...

i'm interested in hearing more about your mental training... that's definately the toughest part of the running battle in my book.