Thursday, October 06, 2011

On the Range

On Sunday I had one of those amazing runs. I met the ever-fab e-speed at a local rails-to-trails early on the cold blustery morning--thankfully the rain held off for most of the run! The goal was 16 @ 6:50-6:55, and we figured since there was a 5 mile race on that particular path it would be a bit more fun to get the miles in if we broke them up by jumping in the race at some point. So, we registered early and than ran a little over 8 before the race. We started off with a 7:10 and then hovered right around 6:50. Then we jumped in the race and averaged 6:40 or so for those 5 and then hit the trail for a little less than 3. The first was a on the uphill rolling section of the path and was 6:55, but then we rolled it down finishing at 6:37 pace and happy with an overall average of 6:47-6:48 pace.

In the past I've had a good epic workout here or there, but they felt more forced and I was wrecked after them. This time I felt smooth and relaxed throughout the whole thing and felt fine since. While I won't say this means 6:47 pace is going to be cake on race day. It does mean that I have become much stronger than I have ever been over the last 6 months of training.

With that in mind I have decided to articulate my goal, even though that is risky of course. I know at this point I am really happy with my fitness and confident not only in my ability to run a good race, but in my ability to move on if things don't go as well as I hope. I have decided to have a goal range: 2:57 - 3:03. I will be happy to run anywhere south of 7:00 pace and I am really confident that I can do better than that if I turn off the brain, put left foot in front of right and relax.

I am a work in progress and this race is a stepping stone. It's quite a relief to feel this way about a marathon for a change, rather than that it's the be-all-end-all of my running life. I am looking very forward to a weekend away to celebrate friendship and running--two of the things that make me happiest! And if I can bring back a big fat p.r. souvenir to share with mrp and the kids, well it will be that much nicer!

3 comments:

Janet Edwards said...

Woot, your running seems very solid!

I got a good feeling about your big fat PR!!!

E-Speed said...

You did a great job with this workout lady! You were so relaxed and never forced the pace. C'Bus is going to be an amazing experience!

We'll just treat that first half like a Sunday long run and then go to work on that back half! I think we are both due for a nice negative split marathon!

Lloyd said...

Hi Laura,

Nice run and attitude going into your marathon. I think it's terrific to have your race plan settled early to allow your mind and body to operate on auto-pilot this week. No fiddling with plans, just follow the routine.

Super preparation. Check.
Good plan. Check.
Confidence high? Check.

Good luck to you. Take what the day offers and run to your glory. Andrea and I will be on the streets of C-bus cheering for you.