Friday, January 27, 2012

Elite Little Me

I mentioned my friend Liz's new blog last post. It's a great read and it just so happens she's also dealing with a pesky injury right now. It helps to have someone who can relate to stuff like feeling like a psycho going bonkers on the elliptical at the gym trying to get your heart rate up to something close to a tempo run. There is something she wrote that I love and am stealing:

I set another resolution for 2012, which is to act like the sub-elite elite athlete that I am. It may sound pompous, but I hope that it will help me to be more conscious of the decisions I make when I am not running (nutrition, recovery, sleep, strength training...) I imagine it will still take persistent questioning to get me to fess up to my race times unless you're my husband , teammate, or training partner.

Her times are better than mine! But I love this idea. Fake it until you make it, as they say. I think this kind of mentality will help me tremendously.

E-speed was just telling me how I need to have more confidence in myself, "you have just as much ability as me and NC," she said. My first reaction is to scoff. Me? The same ability as a 2:49 and a 2:39 marathoner? Ha! Did she see how the two of them completely and utterly dusted me the last time the three of us raced together? (I think they ran 6 and 4 minutes faster than me in a 10 mile race!) But. But. Butt! My butt! And my brain too. Now that I'm fixing my butt I should be much faster. And then if I fix my brain a little bit and infuse it with the sense of confidence that comes from embodying an elite runner, whoa.

Taking on an elite attitude might sound pompous, but it has nothing to do with anyone else. It's not saying I or Liz or anybody is better than anybody else. It just says, "Hey self. You are worth treating like the kick ass athlete you are." And if the word "elite" is what gets the mind to do that, then that shall be the word I use. So I too resolve to treat myself like an elite athlete. So with that, I shall get up from this chair, close the laptop and do some pt! Thanks, Liz!

No comments: