Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Injury Gift

As I sit on my un-runned-today butt it's easy to get down on myself and start to wonder if this year is going to be a bust. It's easy, but it ain't happening. This injury has been a gift. I learned that I have had a condition holding me back for a long time. I can now address it and move on from it. I also have extra time. Before I was injured, this time would be spent running and trying to plan when I can run next. Now, in between pt exercise sets I can contemplate the extra things that I can do to ensure I reach my goals this year:

< 18:00 5k
< 30:00 5m
< 1:20:00 hm

I will achieve these goals by listening to Coach G and old-fashioned hard work, but I also know I need to do the following:
  1. Abs every day (e.g. planks). Hard abs 2-3 x per week (e.g. 15 min. ab circuit).
  2. Maintenance strength training 2-3 x per week (e.g. squats, lunges, calf raises, clams, etc.)
  3. Early treatment of minor injuries as needed (i.e. ART, pt, massage, etc.) No more of this ignoring and accepting pain stuff.
  4. Stretch daily. Stretching isn't for everyone, but it helps me and I always feel better when I do it daily.
  5. Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Running around taking care of kids all day leaves me thirsty far too often. 
  6. Run easy days at an easy pace.
  7. Iron supplements. I need to switch to an iron-free prenatal vitamin and get a good food-based iron supplement. 
  8. Relaxation. I must spend time at the end of the day doing a formal relaxation exercise. 
  9. Visualization. I can spend time visualizing myself achieving my goals after my relaxation exercises. Convenient!
  10. Affirmations. Remind myself that I am capable of meeting these goals.
And along those lines, this year is going to be my fastest yet!

No comments: