Thursday, January 26, 2012

Lower Crossed Syndrome

My butt hurt and my hammy was tight. That's all I thought it was. I didn't connect the dull ache in my lower abdomen, the fact that my abs stick out to the extent it looks like I'm in the early stages of pregnancy when I don't keep up with my core exercises and the tight calves. But once I mentioned to Dr. TK that my psoas was bugging me the light bulb went off and it suddenly made sense why I didn't feel better yet despite all the seemingly successful work he had done on my hamstring, piriformis and gamellas (tiny ancillary butt muscles).

Lower crossed syndrome. It's a condition in which the psoas or other hip flexor is tight and po'd. The tightness in the psoas causes the glutes to relax and more or less shut off. This in turn cases the hamstrings and supporting butt muscles like the piriformis to do more work. It also cases tightness in the lower back which is offset by slacking abs--hence the 2 months pregnant look I was sporting over the fall when I stopped doing core workout because my psoas was hurting. Vicious cycle!

LCS is often caused by sitting for long periods of time at work, but is also somewhat common in runners. For me, though, the culprit was the high level of training after the two pregnancies weakened my abs which then caused my lower back to do too much work and strained my psoas which then turned my glues off which then overworked my piriformis when I run and so on and so forth. This has been going on for a loooong time.

It's really good news. It removes the gray. Once we get rid of the adhesions in my psoas and lower back muscles, which we probably took care of today (ooooooeeeeeeee that hurt!) and I retrain my glutes to fire, I'll be good to go! I have a few pt exercises to do daily along with continuing to work on my core and I can't run until Wednesday to allow the psoas to heal up and not reknot itself. Then we will see whether I need any more ART treatments of it and I might the get the green light to train again! TK said 2 weeks, tops! YES!

But now everything makes sense. Yes it does. My right glute has not been working for a long time. As Coach G says it's like I've been running on 5 cylinders instead of 6. No wonder I underperformed in the longer races. As my body became more tired, my poor overworked hammy and piriformis struggled to keep up and caused me to experience pain way early on in these races--like by mile 4! Also, I just didn't have the power in my legs to really give it what I had. It was so frustrating to know that my body was limiting me somehow and now I feel like I know what was up.

So, the moral of the story is look out because salty's fixing her engine and will be operating at full capacity in 2012!

1 comment:

inspirunning said...

Great news! Great in the fact that you guys figured it all out of course. It feels great when you finally know the root of the prob and you aren't in limbo land anymore. Very happy for you.