Tuesday, January 03, 2012

My Broken Butt Sits on the DL (2,996.19*)

Well, here I am writing my first blog post of the year from the DL. My piriformis that has been bugging me on and off for years became very very angry with me as I surged down a hill trying to catch up to my friends about mid-way through my long run. First, I shouldn't have been running in the low 7:1x's, especially on the very hilly course. Second, I had added a few extra miles during the week because I happened to notice I was really close to logging 3000 miles for the year. Third, I moved up my long run from Saturday to Sunday which I needed to do to log 3,000.09 for the year! Fourth, I didn't listen to mrp. He told me to stay with him instead of turning around to run with my friends since I told him I was pretty sure they'd be running faster than I needed to go. Ugh. As usual, he was right.

On top of all that, we had our first snow accumulation of the year on Tuesday right in the middle of my hard workout. I called it quits when I started slipping and sliding and I thought I did so before I hurt my butt, but I think that set the stage for Saturday. So, extra miles on slipper roads and running faster than necessary all lead to one thing: ouch. I'm lucky it's nothing worse. I feel like it is improving quickly. I still can't run at three days post-injury: I tried today, but it pulls so much I can't open my stride past-shuffle. I have an appointment with the fabulous TK, ART Doctor extraordinaire on Friday so I just plan to elliptical (if it doesn't hurt) until then. Oh well. I haven't been on the sidelines due to injury in a loooooong time, so I can ride it out. We'll see how I'm doing by this weekend, though!

In the meantime, I am busy getting myself ready to take on 2012. I have a lot of exciting things in the works. Stay tuned!

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

*I managed 2,996.19 miles with my 11.1 on Saturday (2 of which consisted of shivering and walking\shuffling in pain, but luckily with good friends and mrp by my side!) I am not upset as 3000 was never a goal of mine,it just so happened I was close by year's end. It's not worth hurting to get there. Plus, 2,996 and my biggest mileage year ever ain't bad for a mother of two toddlers!

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Boo for the injury.

Yay for 2012 (kick it, girl!).

2,996.19? You ROCK!

Janet Edwards said...

Such a bummer to see ya not yourself Saturday. At least you are smart and getting yourself ready to take on 2012!! Dang so close!!