Monday, January 23, 2012

Routine Procedures

* Last Wednesday I saw Dr. TK and received the go-ahead to test out the butt. I ran 22 miles last week from Wednesday to Sunday. I felt sluggish and way out-of-shape on my first run back and each run got progressively better in that regard. Yesterday's run felt smooth and easy and that's the first time I could say that since I started running again.

That's the good news. The bad news is that my right leg still feels like doo-doo. It's tight and stiff in the whole upper hammy, butt, hip, lower back region. It isn't the acute pain I was experiencing right after my New Year's Eve injury and it's not that chronic spasmy weirdness I was feeling for the past 6 or so months either. It's different, but it's still there and annoying. It almost feels like how everything feels during marathon-taper times 10. I think it's healing and the healing process takes time. I just don't want to impede the healing process by running--whether that be too much, too soon or at all. I hate that it's such a gray injury and the best I can do is guess whether I'm ready to go back to training or not (of course TK can help me guess, but it's still just a guess).

But then I wonder if maybe something else is going on that TK and I haven't addressed. Maybe there is some other muscle other than the upper hammy, piriformis and gamellas that we've neglected. I go back on Thursday to assess.

In the meantime, I miss my training routine so much. I have been having trouble sleeping and my appetite and energy levels are all out of whack. I might be a little extra cranky too (sorry mrp and kids!) I know I'm being a whiner. But I suppose if it's ever ok to whine about not training it's on one's own running blog :)

When I can't do what I want to do it always helps me to do stuff that will help do those things later. That's a bit vague. Specifically, I am getting through this time when I can't really train to do things that will support my training in (the hopefully near) future:

- Creating a strength training routine. I have been really bad about all the ancillary stuff since the marathon and I'm sure that contributed to my break down. But over the past few weeks I have started to do whole body strengthening 2-3 times a week. Peanut is 3 now and he no longer needs me to attend his gym and swim or soccer classes. So I can drop him off for those and then hit the gym and do a strength circuit. It's been great! I can already feel a big difference, especially in my core. Score!

- Focusing on nutrition. My friend Liz has a new blog: check it out! She's always posting links to interesting recipes on facebook. I have a bad sweet tooth and have been experimenting with lots of healthy alternatives to the usual treats I like to indulge in. And I have been very careful to try to pack in as many nutrients as I can in every meal to aid in healing and to make it a habit now while I am not prone to eating every thing in sight as I am when running higher mileage. I have never been an unhealthy eater by any stretch, but there is always room for improvement!

- Spending time promoting my new team! All of us training with Coach G have formed a new racing team: Cleveland Elite Development. This is my baby and something I have wanted for a long time. I always wanted to be part of a close-knit training and racing team and now I am! I consider each teammate a good friend and I couldn't be happier to spend some of my free time working as Communications Director (I gave myself that title :) for the team.

- Spending time on my super-secret website project. I hate to be all mysterious, but this project is not ready for prime-time yet. I can say it is going to be a running site (naturally!) and will fill a much-neglected niche. I am looking super forward to getting it up and running. But it's been slow going. I have been trying to learn the technical side of creating and operating a website while being a bit tech-challenged. But I am stubborn. I want to try to learn as much as I can before waving the white flag and paying for a web designer.

- Spending time with friends (like the two EH hooligans in the photo). I've been spending lots of quality time with E that doesn't involve running! She's been popping over for dinner and just general hanging out quite often and it's been fun. Plus, the kids LOVE her! I also got out for a much needed girls night out. Of course #2 was wide awake at midnight when I got home because in her words, "no daddy. I want mommy!" While flattering it does make it a bit hard to get out and have some fun on my own. Even so, I still had a great time whooping it up with the girls celebrating NC's amazing trials performance!

- Changing my schedule. Finally, I am slowly adjusting to an early to bed, early to rise schedule. For a while now I have been going to bed around 11-11:30 and allowing the kids to pry me out of bed around 7:30. With middle of the night wake-ups and what-not it's often hard to wake up even at 7:30. Last night I was in bed by 10:30 and mrp woke me up at 6:30. I eventually want to be in bed by 10 and up at 5:30 to run on my easy days. I am happiest when I have some productive alone time before the kids wake up and before I start my day. Plus, a used to be able to rely in nap time to get in a solid 60-75 minute run, but now that peanut is 3 and in a big boy bed he has been waking up mid-run. He's good about watching me while playing, but it's not ideal. I'd rather just get it done uninterrupted in the morning and I'll be happier. And even better, I can sneak in a little nap when the kids nap!

So, it helps to feel like I'm doing lots to support my future training and general happiness during this bump in the road. That said, I'm looking forward to my next appointment with TK on Thursday. Hoping for some good news!

* My handsome big boy, peanut.

2 comments:

E-Speed said...

Glad you are keeping busy during your down time girl :) And I love hanging out with you and the kiddos!

Viper said...

Congrats on the new team. I look forward to hearing more about our local awesome runners! Hope you heal up soon. Cheers!