Saturday, February 11, 2012

Adjustments

I made a decision and it's a good one. I am going to cancel my appointments for any kind of treatment and wait until I have a definitive diagnosis. If we're dealing with hard tissue like my spine (ICK! Just thinking about my spine being injured gives me the heeby-jeebies!), I want to know what exactly is wrong and make an educated decision about a course of treatment. I love Dr. TK, but I am not sure chiropractics are the right treatment method for me once we're out of the soft-tissue arena. Since the crazy spine treatment thing I had on Thursday, my leg feels a lot better but my back feels more screwed up than ever.

In other news, I made the terrible mistake of googling herniated disc treatments and did not like what I found. Spinal surgery or MONTHS of physical therapy and rest from running. Basically everything I found indicated I won't be training for a while. While I'm eager to know what is going on so I can make the necessary mental adjustments to cope, I don't want to start freaking out until I know exactly what I'm dealing with. I don't even know if it's my spine or something else. After weeks of thinking I was simply dealing with this or that soft-tissue injury I am not assuming I have anything until I get an mri or an x-ray. At the same time I'm speculating on my possible near future working on the other two triathlon disciplines. Anyone have a trainer they want to lend me?

4 comments:

I Heard That said...

You DON'T want to mess around when it comes to your back! It is best to be thorough with getting a diagnosis.
-meg

E-Speed said...

my trainer is your trainer except on wednesday nights!

Quinto Sol said...

I had a herniated disk several years ago. It was pinching the sciatic nerve; it was horrible. The surgeon recommended the knife; a friend recommended to avoid surgery.

I kept on running but not very fast; about a minute slower. I used to do leg lifts (6 inches off the ground) for 30 seconds every day. Slowly the pain went away. Apparently, disks tend to "dry" out and the bulging went subsided enough to stop the pinching of the sciatic nerve.

Of course- YMMV. Best of luck!

Rain said...

I really hope you get some kind of answer from the orthopedic.

I understand the frustration of being injured and not running completely!

I hope it's nothing serious, and nothing that a break from running and perhaps some cross training can't fix!